Learn about 2 of the most feared and misunderstood deities of the Taoist pantheon, the opium-smoking, soul-catching 1st and 2nd granduncles. In spite of their terrifying appearance, the duo are worshipped by a diverse spectrum of Singapore society comprising tycoons, thugs and common folk, something unfamiliar to those used to a sanitised image of the country.
In this tour by Say Tian Hng Buddha Shop, a Taoist effigy-making shop established in 1896, you will hear their story on a twilight walk along the paths and back alleys of downtown Singapore, using touristy landmarks as the backdrops for their underworld story, discovering the unfamiliar via the familiar, as we walk from Yang into Yin, day into night.
* Please note that this tour does not involve a visit to temples, spirit mediums or Say Tian Hng Buddha Shop.
* Photos of mediums are for illustration only.
* The programme is secular in nature and suitable for guests of all religions and races. No prior knowledge of Taoism is required.
* Learn about their origin story, a riverside tragedy unknown to even many devotees.
* Learn about the unusual worship objects, such as abacus, palm leaf fan and "red-tongue dog" Guinness stout.
* Learn why devotees choose to worship them instead of the mainstream deities.
* Switch on your phone torchlights and explore a nameless, dumpster-filled back alley to see hidden ramshackle street shrines of related deities.
Bring along (non-single use if possible) water bottle, comfy walking wear and shoes and an umbrella. (we standby raincoats - disposable unfortunately - just in case, all the time)
Priority is with our guests’ well-being, with that in mind, we require all participants to adhere to following set of regulations and guidelines:
Above measures are understandably disruptive and require plenty of effort from our guests, however, Offbeat intends to meet those high standards to ensure everyone is safe and has a good time with us.
For light rains during or before, the Experience continues unabated. In the event of a potential thunderous shower, the host will take a decision 2 hours before our meeting time, and the Experience may be postponed or continued.
Should said shower occur during the tour, the host will take a decision then and there. For all postponements, make up Experiences will be arranged separately.
However, should the weather turn sour while we are deep into the Experience, the host will provide an alternative plan to ensure everyone’s safety first, and carry on as per normal.